|2 cup water|
1 cup (125mL) quinoa
2 tsp (10mL) vegetable oil
1 lb (454g) lean ground turkey
1/2 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
| 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt and red chili flakes|
4 large red bell peppers, tops cut off and ribs removed
2 cups Tomato Sauce
| In saucepan, bring water to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 15 minutes.|
Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat, brown turkey, breaking into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Transfer to plate. Cook onion until tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt and chili flakes and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in quinoa, and reserved turkey.
Spoon mixture into hollowed peppers. Set them upright in a baking pan (2" sides).
Pour the tomato sauce over the top of all the peppers.
Put the pan in the oven for about 20 minutes on 350.
Saturday, April 27, 2013
This healthy latke recipe will help you cut back on the calories
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided use
2 cups hot water
1½ lb. medium cauliflower, cut into florets, hard stem discarded
2 large eggs ( I didn't have eggs, so I used egg whites)
½ cup medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil; brush foil with 1 Tbsp. oil. Set aside.
3. Bring water to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
4. Place cauliflower in a steamer basket in saucepan; steam for 4 to 7 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Drain well. Dry with a paper towel.
5. Place cauliflower in a large bowl; mash with a fork.
6. Add eggs, onion, flour, salt, and garlic powder, pepper flakes; mix well.
7. Using ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop mixture into patties and place on prepared baking sheet. 8. Brush the tops evenly with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil; bake for 10 minutes. Flip latkes and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crisp.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
3 cups water
2 cups diced cucumber
1 small red onion, finely minced
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Feta cheese, cubed - 1\2 cup
Cook quinoa as it says on the package.
Cool it down, mix with all the other ingredients and serve!